tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 15 06:49:33 1994

Re: Personification and 'it'.

>Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 22:10:19 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Kevin Britton <[email protected]>

>   In writing, or speaking for that matter, do tlhInganpu' use
>personification (For example, 'the ship is ready, she looks great.' Also
>applies to animals, and other inanimate objects.)

I wouldn't think so, leasteways not in formal speech.  That kind of usage
is an idiom, or a metaphor.  A Klingon who started calling his ship "ghaH"
instead of "'oH" would probably get some raised eyebrows, but likely his
friends would laugh and say that's just the way he's gotten so attached to
his ship that he views it as a sentient creature now.  But his third-grade
teacher would probably rap him on the ridges for such nonstandard usage.

>   If not, is there a suffix for posession by an 'it'?  TKD lists
>his/hers, but *never* makes a mention of it suffixes.

Read 3.3.4.  Note that "-Daj" is given as "his, her, its".  Than answer
your question?

~mark

Back to archive top level