tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 11 18:58:04 1994

Re: KLBC: Adverbials

On Sun, 11 Dec 1994, William H. Martin wrote:

> {Do'} is both an adverbial AND a verb (as if it were two
> different words with similar meaning, but different grammatical
> functions). {Do'Ha'} is translated as "It is unfortunate,"
> which is clearly the verbal use of the word {Do'} with the
> {-Ha'} verbal suffix. If it were being used as an adverbial
> here, it would need another verb. It stands alone.

hrm..... actually, Okrand tells us that adverbials *can* stand alone.
but apparently this is a special case, and they are used only as
exclamations.  check TKD 5.4, p57.  he gives a few examples, but states
that they're only examples and not an exclusive list.  in theory, i
guess, every adverbial has the potential to be used as a stand-alone
exclamation, but Okrand's text gives me the feeling that it isn't an
everyday occurrance.....

unless, of course, there's a war goin' on..... *grin*

(this is not to say that i think >Do'Ha'< is an adverbial.  i don't think
it is.  i'm just pointing out the only known special occasion upon which
an adverbial may stand alone.)

> charghwI'

--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level