tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 05 21:05:50 1994

Hamlet miscellanea (was Re: Nick, Where are you?)

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' Elfchief's Lifemate jay'?

=	Welp, this bounced back to me, so I'm posting it to the list. Apologies
=to those of you who don't want to see it.

The which I likewise repeat. One news item for you all: Guido's knocked off
the prose in V 2, which means there's only the scattered bits of prose in
IV 3 and IV 5 to go --- less than a page's worth.

Holtej, I'm all for you proofreading as well, but I do want you to become
familiar with Mark's standards of proofreading, so that the text will be
uniform. I think the most sensible thing is for me to send you all the
comments he's sent me so far, so you can gather the kind of things he picks
up. I'm inclined to still want Mark to have final word/veto on the entire
text; perhaps we can arrange it so that Mark need only glance over the bits
you've proofread? Please get back to me on this.

Sarah, you might want to try the following addresses, in order of preference:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

=> 	Since Lawrence is having such a rough time of it, and apparently
=> Jay's copy of the English version never made it to you, I'm gonna see if I
=> can figure what's up out with your help. *grin*

=> 	How do you mean, you want to format the Klingon text to match the
=> English? You want the same punctuation and tabs, and what not, or line length,
=> or what? I can help you a little with this, as I was the one who edited the
=> final version of the English text, but I'll need some help figuring out what
=> you're looking to do.

I actually was talking primarily about content; the deviations between
Quarto and Folio, which make the various texts we use differ greatly. What
I need is the English text, formatting or no formatting, so that I can check
for deviant readings. I also wanted to make sure the stage directions (where
most of the textual differences occur!) were consistently formatted between
the two.

Unfortunately, I used two editions, not one; for the most part (so as I could
have both text and annotations open while translating) I used a
bargain-basement Collected Works edition, whose textual scholarship I wouldn't
place too much confidence in. So to tell you that my other edition is the
New Penguin Shakespeare doesn't actually help you; I do need the entire text.

--
 Nick Nicholas. Melbourne University, Aus. [email protected]

Back to archive top level