tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 01 13:31:53 1994

Re: please pay some respect to lingual minorities

The list is for English speakers who wish to improve their
Klingon language skills. All published materials about Klingon
are written or spoken in English.

One may argue that the Cherokee Nation would learn Klingon much
easier if we held our discussions in Cherokee, but the point
is, most people here don't speak Cherokee, and there is no
Cherokee-Klingon dictionary or audio tapes. There aren't even
any movies with Klingon speech and Cherokee subtitles.

So, if one could find someone who already spoke fluent Klingon
and Cherokee to publish a Klingon-Cherokee dictionary and make
Cherokee transcriptions of the two audio tapes and all other
Klingon canon, a Cherokee edition of HolQeD and a substantial
number of Cherokee members subscribed to this list, THEN it
might be a valid argument that we are behaving arrogantly to
Cherokee speakers on this list.

Until that time, we don't need any Cherokee sending us
multi-screen posts whining about our FAQ. I say that, since I
am of Cherokee descent and it is the language least likely in
my background to make it to this list.

If your complaint is that you cannot communicate well in
English, please recognize that communication involves more than
one person and the people you are talking to when you post to
this list may very well not understand your non-Klingon,
non-English post.

People here often site sentences and phrases in other languages
for examles of particular aspects of grammar. Those who
understand the language share it. Others ignore it. If your
post is primarily in another language, the odds that
communication will be improved are not good. It doesn't really
matter how well YOU understand what you are saying if nobody
else does.

charghwI'
--

 \___