tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 24 05:28:23 1994

Re: open can of worms

>From: TommyLee Whitlock <[email protected]>
>Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 15:26:34 -0500

>Hebrew should have it as a hiph'il construction but again, I don't have the ref
>'s to back
>it up here at work and I suppose that other Semitic languages would also work w
>ith
>causative constructions.

>From what I've seen, Hebrew uses "l'hashkot", a hif`il, yes, but not of the
normal verb "lishtot"/to drink.  I don't recall ever hearing a pa`al form
of SH.Q.H.  See Genesis 24:14.

>Most of these constructions have to do giving drink to animals.

See Genesis 24:18 and Esther 1:7 for cases used with humans, off the top of
my head.

>Cheers

>  e'osai ko sarji la lojban

mi ja'a sarji .i mi ji'a sarji le me la'o ty. tlhIngan ty. bangu

>TommyLee Whitlock,           la tomis

~mark

Back to archive top level