tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 23 21:48:26 1994

Re: open can of worms

> => 1) Is there or was there ever a liquid equivalent to "feed", and if
> not, how => come?
> =For THAT matter, what equivalent exists in English? "Feed him
> =and give him something to drink!"? "Feed him and make him
> =drink!"? "Feed him, and let him drink!"? While I do see this as
> =an omission in Klingon, I think English has the same omission.
> =I also know of no single verb for this in French or sign
> =language. Okay, polyglots, there's a challenge for you. What
> =languages have a liquid equivalent to the verb "feed"?
>
> Greek potizo, for starters. (Cheating there, since it's my parents'
> language :) . I don't see what's wrong with tlhutlhmoH. Why a single
> stem for je'?
> I suppose because, culturally, food is deemed more important as
> sustenance than liquid. After all, nursing mothers are deemed to feed...
>
> Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected].
> oz.au

German traenken for another.  Also Dutch drenken and Gothic, an extinct relative of
German, had it as drankjan, I think (sorry if that's not quite right, I don't have my ref
book).  That suggests that Old English may have had it.  Come to think of it, on the farm
people often use the contruction "to water the animals" which means about the same
as the Germanic examples above only they build off of the verb to drink.
Hebrew should have it as a hiph'il construction but again, I don't have the ref's to back
it up here at work and I suppose that other Semitic languages would also work with
causative constructions.

Most of these constructions have to do giving drink to animals.

Oops!  I'm in here, now.  I guess I have to start trying to put together some Klingon
sentences instead of just lurking.

Cheers

       e'osai ko sarji la lojban
TommyLee Whitlock,           la tomis