tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 23 12:01:44 1994

Re: TKD erratum - charghwI'vo'

tlhIngan mu'ghom'a' Qaghmey Del charghwI''e':

>chach - (part of speech uncertain, possibly noun or adjectival
>verb): from HolQeD v1. n.3.

Check TKD, it is a noun. And the 'enhanced' definition given in HolQeD looks
plenty nounish to me. You could put it in a N-N construction like {chach
yIntagh}. (Not {yIntagh} the curse, but the normal word. Speaking of which, I
always thought it was rather odd to call someone with whom you're not on the
best of terms a "life support system". Of course, it makes just as much sense
that walking up to someone in England and uttering "blood" is as offensive as
your common Englishman will tolerate before uttering it back.)

>mojaq and mojaQ are the same word spelled differently in E-K
>vs. K-E. They both mean "suffix (n)".

But we have {moHaq} on both sides, so to stay in lines with phonological
symmetry, the one on the E-K side should imesho be considered in error.

>roS - lick (v): [best guess spelling] from Power Klingon.

I couldn't possibly agree with this. Okrand didn't retroflex his {r} without
good reason. It was either just to trip us up (as he tried to do with {SoH
'Iv} in CK) or it is our very first CVCVC verb, with the first V being
unstressed, just exactly as in {tera'} (sounding on Okrand's tongue more like
*{tra'} than {tera'}). I vote for {DoroS}. But this all just my opinion. I'm
not claiming to have anything in proof.

ghaytan tuQoch 'e' vIcherghnISlaHchu'qu' jay'

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level