tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 22 01:15:43 1994

Re: open can of worms

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' William H. Martin jay'?

=> 1) Is there or was there ever a liquid equivalent to "feed", and if not, how
=> come?
=For THAT matter, what equivalent exists in English? "Feed him
=and give him something to drink!"? "Feed him and make him
=drink!"? "Feed him, and let him drink!"? While I do see this as
=an omission in Klingon, I think English has the same omission.
=I also know of no single verb for this in French or sign
=language. Okay, polyglots, there's a challenge for you. What
=languages have a liquid equivalent to the verb "feed"?

Greek potizo, for starters. (Cheating there, since it's my parents' language
:) . I don't see what's wrong with tlhutlhmoH. Why a single stem for je'?
I suppose because, culturally, food is deemed more important as sustenance
than liquid. After all, nursing mothers are deemed to feed...

--
Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]
        [email protected]      [email protected]
            AND MOVING SOON TO: [email protected]

Back to archive top level