tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 20 11:15:59 1994

Re: <Hol wIja'chuq> was: Re:...

trI'Qalvo':

> Then why do instincts differ?

If I try to answer this, I may regret it.  More importantly, YOU may regret
it!

First off, let's try to define what it is you are referring to by
"instincts." Do you mean the different opinions about a particular usage of
language?  Or actual differences in uses of language?

What I mean is, we can look at the sentences:

1a.   I expect Bill to leave.
1b. * I suspect Bill to leave.

They appear very similar in structure, but clearly there's a difference,
because (1b) is ungrammatical (that's what the * means).  One analysis could
say that (1b) is wrong because the verb "suspect" requires its complement
clause to have a verb with tense (the verb "to leave" is in the infinitive).
 Another analysis could say that the verb "suspect" cannot assign case to
"Bill," for whatever reason.  The same data, two different analyses.
 Intelligent people can disagree.

I imagine you didn't realize what a loaded question this was.  Before I go on
(and possible bore the entire list into unsubscription), I'll let you ponder
this, and maybe re-define your question.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level