tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 20 06:39:38 1994

Re: <Hol wIja'chuq> was: Re:...

Holtejvo':
> trI'Qalvo':
>
> > > DujlIj yIlachHa'Qo' 'ej yIvuvtaH. Of course your instincts count. Instincts
> > > have everything to do with how languages are used.
> >
> > "Never unexaggerate your ship and continuaously trust it"?  Huh?
>
> {Duj} is both "ship" and "instincts."

This is what I get for not looking things up as I translate anymore.

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.
(see?  I have them with me this time!  @yay!)

> > Remember that a person's "instincts" about a language are based on
> > *their experience* with languages.
>
> Now wait a minute.  If you are taking "instincts" to mean, unlearned,
> natural responses, then by definition they can't be based on
> experience.  If they were, they wouldn't be instincts, but acquired
> knowledge.

Then why do instincts differ?

*freely admits that she is getting out of her league, here*

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level