tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 17 08:34:37 1994

Re: <Hol wIja'chuq> was: Re:...

trI'Qalvo':

> > DujlIj yIlachHa'Qo' 'ej yIvuvtaH. Of course your instincts count. Instincts
> > have everything to do with how languages are used.
>
> "Never unexaggerate your ship and continuaously trust it"?  Huh?

{Duj} is both "ship" and "instincts."

> Remember that a person's "instincts" about a language are based on
> *their experience* with languages.

Now wait a minute.  If you are taking "instincts" to mean, unlearned,
natural responses, then by definition they can't be based on
experience.  If they were, they wouldn't be instincts, but acquired
knowledge.

I believe pretty strongly in the theory of language that posits that
humans are born with a considerable amount of linguistic knowledge,
and that this knowledge must be the same for all humans, regardless of
what linguistic community s/he is born in to.  In this sense, most of
our knowledge and use of language, with the exception of vocabulary
and a few "parameter settings," are "instinctive," in the sense that
we're born with it.  I'm not going to bring a generative syntax lesson
to this list, but I wanted to point out that instincts are not
based on experience, especially when it comes to language.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level