tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 20 00:47:37 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: rI' nobmey nobwI'lu!

Sorry, Holtej, jupwI'.  You made a few more boo-boos. {{:(  (If someone
already pointed these ou;t to you, ignore this.)

Holtejvo':
> Bryanvo':

[deletia]
> > Hegh HaDIBaH, Hegh qorDu, yIhegh'egh'je
> > 'ach batlh ghogh Heghbe' pongqoq Suqluta netvad.
> >
> > "Cattle die, kinsmen die, you yourself must die;
> > but the voice of honor never dies for him who has earned a good
> > name."

[more deletia]
> Now, let's look at the next line.  You have ?{batlh ghogh} for
> "Honor's voice."  I think a more appropriate word choice for "honor"
> here would be {quv}, from the addendum of TKD.  {batlh} means "with
> honor," and is used as an adverbial.  Your sentence means "But, does
> not die the voice."  See, you have {ghogh} in the object position.

This was an error I once made as well.  <batlh> also happens to be a
*noun*, so the construct here is perfectly correct, in that sense.

> I know that {net} is listed in TKD as a noun, but I object to your
> using it in a compound, *{netvam}.  It's like, "this that."  Also,

<net> is a noun?  Really?  This is news to me.  I always thought it was
just a pronoun/adverbial!

> > HoSlIj Daghur jaj
>
> "The day, you increase your strength"?
>
> {jaj} is just floating out there, no verb to call its own.  Why?
> Because {Daghur} has the prefix {Da-}, which includes the subject
> "you."  The subject position is already taken, so {jaj} has no home.

It looks like there was an accidental, extra space in there to me:

	HoSlIj Daghurjaj
	"May you increase your strength."

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level