tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 09:45:26 1994

Anagrams

Well, as promised, here is the continuation of my Anagram Adventure.

As you may recall from an earlier post, I have anagrammed the name of our
respected Grammarian {Qanqor}. It unfortunately yielded no grammatical
compounds of any sort, so I had to leave it at {qor naQ}, the action of a
long probe rooting thru garbage. (Sorry, Cap'n; blame the Alphabet Gods).

I promised to do {Seqram} next. His name was remarkably productive, yielding
several possibilities. I have chosen the two which retain the best semantic
clarity.

{Serqam} proves him to be one who keeps on his toes while always looking
ahead toward better things, while {meqSar} demonstrates his great capacity
for rational thought. These anagrams were the most characteristically
descriptive of all. (~mark, you should praise the Alphabet Gods for having
given you such Klingonesque anagrams).

Next came {charghwI'}. This one was tricky, because I could keep {rgh} as one
letter or separate them. The same was true of {w'}. Thus I had my choice of
3, 4, or 5 consanants to work with. Of course, with only 2 vowels, 5
consanants would've violated the phonology. I had to keep at *least* one
consanant cluster.

Anyhow, out of several possibilities, I chose {rIgh chaw'}, which
demonstrates his intolerability of those who use tlhIngan Hol too liberally.
(NB: {chaw'} as a noun is found only on the E-K side of the dictionary).

As for the other Klingon names of this list's subscribers, productivity was
for the most part low:

{Do'val} became {Dol 'av}. {nIchyon} became {yIn noch} with a double meaning
because {yIn} could either be a verb or a noun. {DrujIv}, despite the fact
that the name itself violates Klingon phonology, became {DIr juv}. {trI'Qal}
has a consanant:vowel ratio that's too high to allow meaningful anagrams, so
I changed it to {tlhI'Qal} and it thus became {Qatlh 'Il}, where {Qatlh} is a
shortening of {DenIb Qatlh}.

And now the Award Ceremony.

[trumpet fanfare!] And the award for Most Productive goes to......
{Seqram}!!! [crowd goes spiratic]

The award for Most Challenging To Anagram goes to.....
{charghwI'}!!! [crowd goes spiratic once again]

The award for Most Ridiculous Anagram goes to..... You're never gonna believe
it folks: it's a deadway tie between {Qanqor} and {trI'Qal}. [astonished for
a moment, the crowd goes uncontrollably spastic]

ThanQ for being with us this evening. It's been wonderful...

Oh!

What's that? What about *my* name? Wellll... it's kinda embarassing, but
here's what I got:

{ghu Doy'}

Yeah, just laugh it up, go right ahead! It doesn't matter, because my name
ended up being considerably productive after all; the Alphabet Gods have
blessed me with a number of additional, more Klingonesque anagrams to counter
my embarassment of this first one:

{yo' Dugh}
{yoD 'ugh}
{gho Duy'}

What these mean is that I act as a watchful, protective army that does not
function well in a circular formation.

[The crowd "ooh"s in amazement of the anagrammatical productivity of the name
of GUIDO, the Youthful.]

Yes, I suppose now I'll just have to walk off with all three awards all for
myself. Yes, I know what you're feeling and I sympathize completely. But
fair's fair.

The surges of envy coursing thru your vains at this moment is no doubt
motivating you to twist my ears off and strew my entrails across the front of
my gravestone, whose epitaph will read, "Heghpu' ghaH; wejpuH", but before
that can happen, you'll have to catch me!!

Zooooooooooooooooooommmmmmm>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos, signing off

Back to archive top level