tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 06:26:12 1994

why the list should stay a mailing list

Regarding "migrating to Usenet":

1) There is already a newsgroup "alt.startrek.klingon". You can use it
   if you want, I suppose.
2) Usenet newsgroups tend to attract and be dominated by, to put it
   nicely, "less committed" individuals than we are generally on the
   list. (I say this as a regular Usenet reader and poster, btw.)
3) Quite possibly, not all of us on the list have access to Usenet,
   or would get access to a new group if it were created (not all
   sites get all alt groups, and "sci.linguistics.klingon" would be
   laughed out of news.groups and rightly so); but we all, by
   definition, have access to mail and mailing lists.
4) There exist ways/programs which can feed a mailing list into a
   local news spool, allowing one to treat it like a newsgroup.
   Don't ask me how to do it, though; I've just seen it in action.

However, the pleas from those swamped with mail do suggest another
solution, namely, beefing up the mailing list software, at least
to something with "digest" and "vacation" modes (like the LISTSERV
software has). I realize, though, that Elias is probably maintaining
the thing on his own time, and thus wish to exert no pressure on him.

jabbI'IDvam bolaDpu'neSmo', Satlho'.

-QumpIn 'avrIn
--
Erich Schneider  [email protected]  http://tamsun.tamu.edu/~ers0925