tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 16 05:36:33 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: rI' nobmey nobw...

According to Niall Hosking:

> In English, you would say "I love you", and the other person would reply
> "I love you, too", although grammatically you are effectively saying
> "And I love you".  That was the particular sense of "too" that I was
> trying to refer to.  In TKD 5.3, using{je} [how come thats not {je'}?]

[because Okrand says so]

> is applied to a situation of Me saying "I see trI'qal", and you saying
> "I see trI'qal too/also".  Or am I missing something.

The difference that I see is that if you wish to convey "And I
see trI'Qal", then you want {'ej} at the beginning. As it says
in TKD 5.3, the use of {je} following a verb is less a
conjunction for the verb than it is for the subject or object,
and it is ambiguous as to which it refers.

You seem to be saying that "I saw trI'Qal, too," means "And I
saw trI'Qal." The conjunction "and" adds something, and in this
case, for me, it means, "I did something to trI'Qal and I also
saw her." Two verbs, one spoken and one unspoken, probably
referring to an earlier sentence.

Meanwhile, TKD 5.3 interprets {je} after a verb to mean either,
"I and someone else saw trI'Qal," or "I saw trI'Qal and someone
else." See the difference? {je} is a conjunction for nouns.
{'ej} is a conjunction for verbs. The former implies multiple
nouns. The latter implies multiple verbs. Does this help?

> A frustrated 10th level physicist/3rd level grammarian
> --
> {qSeroHS vayn}

A frustrated 11th level physicist/2nd level grammarian.

charghwI'

And no, physics is just an avocation...

Back to archive top level