tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 16 00:48:20 1994

For Beginners

Friends,

While I intend to produce a more concise introduction later, I
now scramble to prepare for what is to me a new post as
Beginner's Grammarian (sometimes referred to as BG). The
function of this role is to assist and encourage anyone on this
list who considers herself or himself to be a beginner to to
become more proficient and comfortable with tlhIngan Hol.

In the words of Kruge, "Who I am is not important." Wisely or
not, the grammarians have chosen to trust me to try to help new
Klingon speakers without steering them in bad directions (very
often).

What you should do, if you consider yourself to be a beginner
and you wish to post an attempt at using Klingon, or you have a
question about how to convey a thought in Klingon:

Include in your SUBJECT line either the word BEGINNER or
the acronym KLBC, which, I believe, stands for Klingon Language
Beginner's Conference.

The idea is that this is a list within a list. While the
general communication on the list at large can be very
educational among the more experienced members of the Klingon
list as a whole, messages with the SUBJECT: KLBC are
specifically dedicated to giving that initial boost to those
who might otherwise be intimidated by the arguments and strange
text exchanged on the list at large.

In other words, if anybody gives you a hard time because of
something you posted under the KLBC banner, I'm here to stand
up for you.

And, while it may be hypocritical for me to say so, given my
own history, for all experienced Klingonists on this list:

If you see a message with KLBC or BEGINNER in the SUBJECT line,
HANDS OFF! If you must comment, at least you should be careful
enough to remove the KLBC header in order to make your post
recognizeably separate from the exchange between the BG and his
students. The two general Grammarians can ALWAYS step in, since
they are better Klingon speakers than I am and because they
carry the responsibility of upholding the quality of the
language for the list as a whole. Anybody else should fight to
resist the urge to offer advice to newbies until after I have
done so.

We're trying to avoid confusion here.

The challenge of following in the footsteps of trI'Qal and
Holtej (earlier BGs) is not insubstantial. I hope to serve as
effectively.

Thanks for your patience.

More later.

charghwI', Beginner's Grammarian.