tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 15 23:27:51 1994

Re: SkyBox card SP2

According to Coz:

> This card bears a description printed in pIQaD, then in tlhingan Hol,
> then in English: SuvwI' taj	Blade of the Warrior
>
> lI'qu' tlhingan may' taj.  not Hub'eghrupHa' lo'wI'.

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! {Hub'eghrupHa'}? TKD 4.3: "It is
interesting that {-Ha'} always occurs right after the verb."
Okrand blew it. SO WHERE IS HIS REPLACEMENT PROVERB?

We're all waaaaaaitiiiiiing......

> taj DopmeyDaq nargh
> cha' tajHom.  ghop luQan tajHommey.  pe'laH je.  moQDaq DuQwI' Hommey jej
> tu'lu'.  pay' HIvDI' lo'wI' pagh mupDI' QIHchu' bIH.
>
> The translation in English is as follows:
>
> The Klingon battle knife is designed primarily for versatility of use, so
> that the user is never caught at a disadvantage.  Two small, secondary
> blades eject from the knife's sides, providing both a hand guard and
> another set of cutting edges.  A brutally spiked pommel fastens the hilt
> together to provide a damaging surprise attack or give a devastating
> backhand stroke.
>
> Comments?  Anyone?  Anyone?
>
> KoSneH

Overall, again this is decent Okrandian Klingon, very loosely
tied to the English, but generally (except for one blunder)
following the rules of his own grammar and expressing the
thoughts of the translation. It is good enough that I am
encouraged that Okrand does indeed appear to practice his
language enough to write something in it of impressive
complexity without looking as bad as he did in ST5.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level