tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 15 23:12:33 1994

Re: SkyBox card SP1

According to Coz:

> This card bears a description printed in pIQaD, then in tlhingan Hol,
> then in English: Qo'noS wo'	Empire of Kronos
>
> tlhingan wo' Degh 'oH Deghvam'e'.  tlhingan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh
> cha'lu'.  juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhinganpu' 'ej qo'mey Sar
> charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhingan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb nganpu' buQpu'
> may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH.  nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam.
>
> The translation in English is as follows:
>
> This marking represents the Klingon Empire and has been emblazoned upon
> the hulls of countless Klingon Starships.  During the aggressive expansion
> of the Klingon people from their homeworld of Kronos into space, this
> symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the menacing
> profiles of their battlecruisers.
>
> Comments?  Anyone?  Anyone?
>
> KoSneH

It seems in character with most of the Klingon that Okrand
writes in that it is very loosely linked to the English (a
trait I tend to favor, myself {{:)> ) and for the most part
does not contain much that is startling at first viewing. The
strangest thing I see is {juHqo' Qo'noSvo'} = [from their
homeworld of Kronos]. Clearly, this use of "of" is not the same
as that in TKD 3.4, in that the word order is reversed, were
that his intent. Instead, this is an example of apposition,
since "their homeworld" and "Kronos" are one and the same.

If we are looking to these cards as cononical use of
punctuation, we should note that no comma is used between the
two words in apposition. Instead, we are left with no
indication whatsoever of any difference between two nouns in
apposition and a noun-noun possessive construction. (sigh)

The last English sentence mapping to the two last Klingon
sentences certainly are LOOSELY translated to each other, but
again, this is not unusual for Okrand. Overall, it seems
comprehensible. I didn't note any new words or other
groundbreaking grammatical constructions. Anybody else?

charghwI' - somewhat startled new BG, bracing for the task...

Back to archive top level