tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 15 22:25:58 1994

Re: I shouldn't ask... [into the breach]

According to Captain Krankor:

> Regarding a Klingon name for the bible:

Where I have poked a finger, my captain thrusts his sword...

> be'pu' qan lutghom

The main problem I have with this is that early Christians
banned women from any role in the religion at all. Even when
they were allowed in later, they were not given any positions
of significance until quite recently, and even then, only in
exceptional settings. Even Mary is only significant in her
providing the vehicle for the entry of the REALLY IMPORTANT
PERSON, who was, of course, male. I think old women would have
come up with stories that were more complimentary to their
gender...

> Alright, alright, I'll struggle to be diplomatic.  How about:
>
> tera'ngan lalDanqoq paQDI'norgh
>
>                 --Krankor

You were doing fine, except for the {-qoq} part... My
agnosticism aside, I suggested {wIch'a'paq} because, like them
or not, the myths in the bible have great significance in this
culture, so I felt the {-'a'} suffix to be appropriate. I also
believe that to deny that the contents of the bible are
mythical in the deepest senses of the word, is, indeed, denial.

I genuinely believe that the term fits well, not to be
slanderous, but to be simply accurate. There is much richness
in these myths, despite the centuries of abuse that have been
justified through them. I meant to respect that more than I
meant to sting those I take to be opponents. For the most part,
I leave them alone and they leave me alone and I respect their
right to believe in imaginary friends.

But then again, even for this, I am sure to draw fire. After
the week I've had, why not? Visitors from Hell have been here
four days, intending to stay FOR THE REST OF THE MONTH. Their
very smelly dog loves my couch. One of the humans calls
"discussions of personal growth" what I would call,
"self-righteous, uninvited, harsh criticism." It is her
favorite, if not exclusive, topic of discussion, bringing new
meaning to the term, "rude". She can't deal with shades of
grey, since her world is black and white, while I wish I could
talk about colors, textures and intertwining three dimensional
shapes in motion. She draws her static world on a huge, flat
sheet of white paper with a broad, black indelible marker,
which only she is allowed to touch.

Hoch vISuvrupqu'. qatlh [christian]pu' vISuvbe' je? Qanqor,
may'Daq chotllhejqang'a'?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level