tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 15 07:10:48 1994

Re: Re:ri' nobmey nobwI' lu

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 13:15:37 EDT

>***KLBC***

(apologies for stepping on Holtej here a little)

>Holtejvo',

>H>You've chosen an imperative prefix on {yIHegh'egh}, so it means: "Die
>H>yourself!"  Which, is rather jibberishish.  It should be (following
>H>the English you supplied) {bIHeghnIS}.  Note, I didn't use {-'egh},
>H>because "you die yourself" doesn't really make sense.  I also added
>H>{-nIS}, to get the "need" in there.

>Poetic mood again.  TKD 3.3.2 {thlonmey} is an example of grammer being
>secondary to poetic mood.   You're right, it should be {bI-} instead of
>{yI-}, but the {-'egh} is needed for the proper mood.  {bIHegh'eghnIS je}
>"you yourself must die also"  has a more poetic ring to it.

Sorry.  It doesn't work that way.  "You yourself" in English is apposition,
with "yourself" repeating the concept of "you".  What you've done here is
"die yourself" meaning something analogous to "See yourself", as though you
might have said "die the book" (or "you must die the book", for your
purported meaning).  The verb doesn't make sense that way.  To emphasize,
you do the things Okrand suggested: bIHeghnIS SoH or even bIHeghnIS SoH'e'
(it is *you* that must die).  See?

>yIHmey SurghwI'.

~mark

Back to archive top level