tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 15 01:48:19 1994

Re:ri' nobmey nobwI' lu

| From: [email protected]
| Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 13:15:37 EDT

> Hegh HaDIBaHmey, Hegh qorDu', yIHegh'egh je;
> 'ach batlh ghogh Heghbe' pongQaQ Suqlu'ta' netvad.  **(spelling and typos
corrected)**

> "Cattle die, kinsmen die, you yourself must die;
> but the voice of honor never dies for him who has earned a good
> name."

| H>You've chosen an imperative prefix on {yIHegh'egh}, so it means: "Die
| H>yourself!"  Which, is rather jibberishish.  It should be (following
| H>the English you supplied) {bIHeghnIS}.  Note, I didn't use {-'egh},
| H>because "you die yourself" doesn't really make sense.  I also added
| H>{-nIS}, to get the "need" in there.
|
| Poetic mood again.  TKD 3.3.2 {thlonmey} is an example of grammer being
| secondary to poetic mood.   You're right, it should be {bI-} instead of
| {yI-}, but the {-'egh} is needed for the proper mood.  {bIHegh'eghnIS je}
| "you yourself must die also"  has a more poetic ring to it.

If I might be so bold...

I would first suggest using the {-'e'} noun suffix: {bIHeghnIS SoH'e'}.  IMHO,
this adds an emphasis equivalent to 'you yourself'.

On the other hand, TKD 4.2.1 states on {-'egh}: "This suffix is used to
indicate that the action described by the verb affects the performer of
the action, the subject.  It is translated by the English /self/..."

The action 'die' certainly affects the performer of the action (since that's
what an intransitive verb does).  Adding {-'egh} would seem to emphasize
that effect.  It seems to me that adding {-'egh} to an English intransitive
verb is not specifically prohibited by TKD 4.2.1.

--Rob

Back to archive top level