tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 15 01:37:42 1994

Re: archaic style?

According to [email protected]:

> I'm currently in the process of contemplating my writing of a tlhIngan novel,
> in which a couple of very regal characters speak what I would like to be
> archaic Hol.

Ambitious.

> Now, this is not as inconceiveable as it sounds, so hear me out. We do have
> canonical evidence that some very formal phrases (albeit only toasts, and
> only {-jaj} phrases at that) that sorta kinda indicate that speaking in OSV
> carries certain connotations, possibly archaic.
>
> My theory on the {-jaj} OSV issue is this:

I for one would appreciate that in whatever form you distribute
this in the future (published or just personally copied and
sent around), you include an explanatory note about what you
are doing and set apart (with italics, or whatever) all Klingon
text that you are noting as archaic so that it is quite clear
to all who read it that this is NOT INTENDED TO BE well formed
Klingon as it has been developed by Okrand.

Otherwise, it is an interesting idea.

charghwI'

> Guido#1, a.k.a. "Boy Wonder!"

Back to archive top level