tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 08 11:25:49 1994

Re: Compass

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >From: [email protected] (Joachim E. Deussen)
> >Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 21:38:17 +0200
>
> >On Mo 25.07.1994 at 22:44:57 you wrote in /KLINGON
> >under the subject 'Compass':
>

> >pu> Direction the sun rises?
> >pu> ******************************************************************
>
> >How do we know, that the sun of the KHW rises the same direction as Sol
> >does on earth?..
> The strong answer:
>
> That's what East and West mean.  If you have a planet that's spinning on
> its axis, then North is where the spin looks counterclockwise.  East is in
> the direction of the spijn, West is the other way, and South is opposite
> north.  Now, if you have a day-night cycle at all, and the planet's
> orbitting a sun in a fairly normal way, unless the rotation is slower than
> the revolution (i.e. the "day" is longer than the "year")--a rare
> occurrence, if it happens--the sun will *always* rise in the East and set
> in the West.  That's what the terms mean.  Maybe not due east/west, but
> definitely there.  OK?
>

> >see you on the edge of the final frontier,
> >Joachim
>
> ~mark

I always imagined with the Klingon fixation on triangles being
as strong as the human attraction to rectangles, that their
compass would have three points. Just thought I'd toss than in
to stir up the synapses...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level