tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 05 22:51:28 1994

KLBC Intro Pack

There have been several questions about the KLBC lately, and also
several newcomer's posts, so I thought I'd re-post this.  It has not
changed in form at all, so if you've recently received one (I
regularly send them out to newcomers), then don't bother reading it
again.

*** Klingon Language Beginner's Club ***

The BG's role

The BG has the responsibility of correcting points
of grammar use in the messages of new posters to the list (see below).
Beyond my purview are points of style, as are frequently discussed
by more seasoned Klingonists.  If it's in TKD, I'll follow it to the
best of my ability; if it's not, I may comment on it and encourage the
interested parties to take the discussion off the KLBC header.

I usually log onto my system every day, and often several times
throughout the day.  If it appears that some messages go for a day
or two without my responding, please be patient.  I am a new father,
and my schedule is thus rather unpredictable.  At times, if my
time becomes too consumed by baby etc., I may defer to the
esteemed charghwI', who has offered his time in the interest of
prompt replies.  During his tenure as BG, if all goes well now, you
may see me helping him out from time to time, too.

The KLBC

Welcome to the Klingon Language Beginner's Club!  The KLBC was formed
when new members of the mailing list were overwhelmed, intimidated,
and downright frightened by the subtle and often cryptic types of
discussions occurring on the list, carried out largely by members who
have been around for years.  For Klingons new to the list, there
was no official way to indicate a more introductory skill level, and
actually learn and practice the straightforward grammar without
worrying about what can be inferred by some actor's line in some
obscure scene of a movie they may not have seen.

If you are new to the list, and would like to venture to introduce
yourself, give it a go in Klingon.  Fear not about making mistakes;
we all do (well, except perhaps Krankor....).  I will comment on
points of grammar, give examples, etc., and generally be
encouraging.  And, probably, I will also make mistakes, although I
will strive not to blatently contradict anything in TKD.  We are
all Huma.. uh, Klingon.

In order to ensure that customary high-level discussions do not
ensue from a beginner's post, please make sure that the header
"KLBC" appears both in the subject of the message, and at the
top of the message text.  This will indicate that the message
is "off-limits" to the regular list grammarians.  New users,
who may not have been around long enough to notice the system,
will almost certainly begin with something like "Hello, my name
is ...., I am new here...."  I will send private mail to the
user explaining the KLBC, and make a public reply to points of
grammar, with a corrected subject to include KLBC.  The point is,
just because a message does not have KLBC in it, do not assume
it is intended for more erudite dissection.

If you would like to discuss a subtle (or not so subtle) point of
style based on a beginner's post, feel free to do so, but PLEASE
change the subject to remove KLBC, and keep it off the KLBC.

Just who the heck is Holtej, anyway?

I've been participating in this mailing list since the fall
of 1992, but I've been rather quiet lately.  There was no
KLBC when I began, and most of the discussion was far over
my head.  I've been working at it steadily (as well as a parser),
and I can at least follow most of the higher-level discussions
nowadays.  In the past I've only posted when I feel something
important had been left out of the discussion.  Most of the
time, though, the words of charghwI' have mirrored my own
interpretations, and often he takes the thought farther than
I would have.

I am a student of linguistics at Georgetown University.  I just
finished my Masters degree, and I am now a Ph.D. candidate.  I
am the father of an 8-week old boy, Alexander.  My wife is a
nurse at Georgetown.  I've been a member of the KLI as long
as I've been a member of this list, and I recently began reviewing
articles for HolQeD.   I am of Cherokee descent, and this is
another characteristic I share with charghwI'.

That's it.  If anyone wants to know more about who I am, why
I'm the new BG, or anything at all, you'll have to ask in
Klingon.

tlhIngan wo' vItoy'

Holtej

Back to archive top level