tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 05 05:06:21 1994

Re: Quenya phrase

According to Niall Hosking:

> Can anyone help me with the following phrase (in Tolkien's Quenya)?
>
> 'The stars shine on the hour of our greeting.'
>
> chay' tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghvam jatlhlu''a'
>
> --
> bu' qSeroHS vayn

I can translate it, but I think it loses the poetic reference.
In English, you are using "on the hour" as a spacial locative
describing where the stars shine. In Klingon, the hour of your
meeting is a TIME, not a PLACE. I know that it is a strange
concept to think of time and space being two different
things... {{:)>, but in Klingon, depending upon whether this is
a first time greeting or a reassembly of acquantences, either:

maqIHchuqDI' boch Hovmey.

or

maghomchuqDI' boch Hovmey.

Others may offer other translations as well, but this is how I
see it. I also might offer that the sense of blessing might be
better served by speaking directly to the issue:

maghomchuqDI' jIQuchqu'.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level