tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 05 03:38:26 1994

Re: Email Klingon Course

According to HoD trI'Qal:

> I'm not sure I care for this at all.  It doesn't really teach the
> *grammar*; it only teaches "here is a Klingon phrase; this is what it
> means."  Although this has it's uses, if someone is really serious about
> learning Hol, teaching it to them this way is *ahem* an insult.  {{:)

I strongly support this opinion.

> > petaQ:    possibly from pe' (to cut) and taQ (to be weird), with
> >           a supposed meaning of "weird cutter";  or, a command,
> >           from pe- (second person plural imperative) and taQ,
> >           meaning "You all are weird".
>
> [simialr comments on the curses deleted]
>
> *sighs*  *EVERYONE* tries to do this.  *I* tried to do this.  The thing
> is, although *our* curses have "meanings"... who says THEIRS have to?  Or
> if they do, who says they have to have anything to do with what we
> already have?  For all we know, they may be comprised of homonyms whose
> roots we don't have yet.

Again, I strongly support this opinion. I think that {petaQ} is
simply a wonderful pair of syllables that are nearly impossible
to pronounce without sneering. It doesn't NEED to mean
anything. When you say it, you will obviously be insulting the
person at whom you are sneering WHILE you say it.

Similarly, {Qu'vatlh} is a TERRIFIC thing to say when you slam
your finger with a hammer. It really does something for the
soul. It releases the pressure that drives anger and
frustration. Had a rough day, walk out to your back door, face
the woods or the alleyway (or whatever) and shriek {Qu'vatlh!}
and you will definitely feel better, and anyone unfortunate
enough to be within earshot will quite naturally stay out of
your way.

Isn't that the desired effect?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level