tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 03 23:26:32 1994

KLBC: Re: nuqneH

*** KLBC ***

As stated in my KLBC Intro pack, which I posted to the list way back
when, I'll respond to this post under KLBC, as it is clearly a
newcomer's post.

Chrisvo':

> nugneH

I know you know it's {nuqneH}, because it's your subject.

> Chris jIH

Congratulations!  You've successfully avoided the most commonly
misused and complicated grammatical constructs, for beginners!  That
is, the correct use of {pong}.

Holtej jIH 'ej Holtej 'oH pongwIj'e'

> cha'maHcha' DISmey vIqan

For 22, you need to separate {cha'maH} and {cha'}, it's not one word
(See TKD 5.2 again).  I'm not sure about your use of {vIqan} in this
sentence, though.  It translates as "I am old 22 years."  I believe
{qan} just would mean, "I am old," as in, "I'm not young."  Are we
ever given info about how to state your age?

> wa'Hu' tlhIngal{tapes} vIHev

Good sentence structure, short, direct.  Careful on spelling:
{tlhIngan}, not *{tlhIngal}, and "tapes" should be separated from
{tlhIngan}.

> tlhIngal Hol jatlhbe'law' Worf 'ej vIparHa'be'
> 'ach {tapes} vIparHa'

It's funny you put "tapes" inside {}, to indicate it's not a Klingon
word, but not "Worf," which clearly cannot be a Klingon word!  Ah,
Paramount, that bastion of consistency!

Anyway....  {jatlhbe'law'}?  {jatlhbe'bej}!  Why do you construct
{vIparHa'be'}?  The root word, {par}, already means "dislike."  It's
not unlike double negatives in English.

Otherwise, a good bit of tlhIngan Hol there!

> I wanted to make a sentence like 'I make a lot of mistakes' but I
> saw no verb for make in TKD.

To "make a mistake" is a very "Englishy" thing to say.  The point of
the sentence you want to translate is "mistake," not "make."  We do
have a word for "mistake," it's {Qagh}.  And look at that definition,
it includes "make a mistake"!  So, I can suggest this translation:

pIj jIQagh.

Chris, welcome to the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list!  Stick around and
learn some tlhIngan Hol, and most importantly, have fun!

--Holtej, Beginner's Grammarian

Back to archive top level