tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 02 02:29:01 1994

RE: salutations!!!!

According to Coming soon to a theater near you!:

> Hi! I hope I'm not going to annoy anyone by asking a rather simplistic
> question... I am very much a beginner.
>
> Is there a word for 'eclipse' in the Klingon lang.? Someone asked me, and
> I couldn't locate it in my TKD, I tried coming up with something like
> "shadow of the moon from the sun" or some such.. but I haven't even got a grasp
> of basic Klingon structure yet... can someone give me a clue so I can give this
> person an answer?

My guess would be:

ghorgh Hov'a' So'DI' maS qaSbogh wanI'

"Event which happens when the moon hides the Sun". Note, "Sun"
is often debated, and {Hov'a'} (big/significant star) is only
one of several guesses.  {juHHov} (Home star) is another good
guess.

For the most part, I think most Klingons wouldn't bother with a
shorter term for "eclipse" because it is unlikely to concern
them. I see them in battle. Suddently, the sky darkens. They
stop fighting and look up into the sky. Then they look back at
each other. With one voice, they all say, {wejpuH} and resume
fighting.

> Michael (who's nickname is 'Scanner' but forgot what that is in Klingoneze as
> well and forgot his TDK at home...  :)   )

HotlhwI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level