tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 23 04:47:54 1994

Klingon in ST Encyclopedia

Here is the list of Klingon words and phrases taken from the new
Star Trek Encyclopedia by Mike and Denise Okuda.

I have spelled (or mis-spelled) everything the way they appear in the
book.  I've also left out proper names and ship names as these would
not necessecerily have translations, right or wrong.

Corrections are encouraged at Pocket Books, 1230 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Age of Ascension: ... DaHjaj SuvwI'e' jiH. tIgwIj Sa'angNIS. Iw
                        bIQtlqDaq jIjaH. (Today I am a arrior. I must
                        show you my heart. I travel the river of blood.)
                        (The Icarus Factor)

BaH: Klingon word for "fire" (Redemption, Pt 1)

baktag: A Klingon insult (Redemption, Pt 1)

bat'telh: The traditional Klingon "sword of honor" (Reunion)

brak'lul: Klingon term for a characteristic redundancy in Klingon physiology
                        (Ethics)

cha'DIch: Klingon term for a 'second' or a person who stands with a warrior
                        during a cerimonial challenge  (Sins of the Father)

chech'tluth: Klingon alcoholic beverage (Up the Long Ladder)

DaH!: Klingon for "Now!" (Redemption, Pt 2)

dk' tahg: Traditional Klingon warrior's knife (Birthright, Pt 2)

Fek'lhr: A mythical Klingon beast that was the guardian of Gre'thor
                        (Devil's Due)

gagh: Serpent worms, a Klingon culinary delicacy (Matter of Honor)

ghojmok: Klingon term for nursemaid (Sins of the Father)

GhoS!: Klingon for 'Make it so!' (Redemption, Pt 2)

G'now juk Hol pajhard: Klingon law of heredity (Redemption, Pt 1)

Gre'thor: In Klingon mythology, the place where the dishonored go to die
                        (Devil's Due)

Ha'DIbah: A Klingon insult; it translates as 'animal' (Sins of the Father)

Hechu' ghos: A Klingon phrase meaning 'set course' (Unification, Pt 1)

Hegh'bat ceremony: literally translated as 'The Time to Die', Klingon
                        ritualized suicide (Ethics)

ja'chug: Anancient part of the Klingon Rite of Succession (Reunion)

Jat'yIn: A Klingon term for spiritual posession. It literally translates
                        as 'the taking of the living by the dead'
                        (Power Play)

jIH dok: Klingon for 'my blood', an expression of devotion to one's mate
                        the response is maj dok, 'our blood' (Reunion)

jinaq: Traditional Klingon jewled amulet, given to a daughter when she comes
                        of age to take a mate (Birthright, Pt 2)

K'adlo: Klingon for 'Thank You' (The Mind's Eye)

kellicam: Unit of distance measure in use by the Klingon Empire (ST3) One
                        kellikan was roughly equal to two kilometers

KoH-man-ara: Prescribed move in the Klingon Mok'bara martial arts form
                        (Second Chances)

kut'luch: A bladed weapon used by Klingon assassins (Sins of the Father)

Maktag: A division of the Klingon calendar, a specific 'month' name
                        (New Ground)

Mek'ba: In the Klingon system of justice, the portion of a trial or appeal
                        in which evidence is heard (Sins of the Father)

mev yap: Klingon for 'stop' (Reunion)

Mok'bara: Ritual Klingon matiial-arts form (Birthright, Pt 2)

naDev ghos!  Klingon for 'come here' (Redemption, Pt 1)

nIb'poH: Klingon term that describes the feeling that an action has occurred
                        before, deja vu (Cause and Effect)

pahtk: A Klingon insult (The Defector, Sins of the Father, Reunion)

qa'vak: Traditional Klingon game involving a half-meter hoop and a spear
                        (Birthright, Pt 2)

Qab jIH nagil: Klingon ritual challenge used during the Sonchi ceremony
                        during the Rite of Succession, It translates
                        'Face me if you dare' (Reunion)

Qapla': Klingon word meaning 'success' (ST3, Sins of the Father....)

Qui'Tu: In Klingon mythology, the source of all creation (ST5)

rop'ngor: A disease that sometimes affects Klingon children, somewhat
                        akin to terrestrial measles (Up the Long Ladder)

R'uustai: Klingon ceremony in which two individuals bond together to
                        become brothers or sisters (The Bonding)

seloh: Klingon term for sex (Sins of the Father)

So'wI'chu':  Klingon phrase that translates into 'engage' or 'activate'
                        (Unification, Pt 1)

Sonchi ceremony: A Klingon ritual confirming the death of a leader before
                        his or her successor could be chosen, translates
                        as 'he is dead' (Reunion)

Sto-Vo-Kor: Klingon mythological place of the afterlife for the honored
                        dead (Rightful Heir)

tohzah: A Klingon expletive (epithet)(The Defector)

VeK'tal response: A measure of Klingon physiological condition (Ethics)

Vorch-doh-baghk, Kahless!: Translates as 'All hail Kahless' the ritual
                        greeting for the Klingon historical figure.
                        (Rightful Heir)

Warnog: Klingon ale (Rightful Heir)

yIntagh: A Klingon expletive (Redemption, Pt 1)

zark: klingon riding animal, somewhat similar to an Earth horse (Pen Pals)

Kordite, Chief of Intelligence, IKV Dark Justice, Klingon Assault Group

Back to archive top level