tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 21 21:34:21 1994

Re: Nick's comments on HolQeD

Guidovo':
> If ever you have a nominalized verb used as your object, look carefully. In
> most cases like that, you can (and should) recast with the {'e'} pronoun.

charghwI'vo':

     I've recently wondered if this sort of device could be used in a
comparative construction in a way similar to Krankor's use of {-ghach} a
while back in HolQeD. My point is less to discredit Krankor than to wonder if
this alternative could be considered valid:

          jIjaH 'e' qaq law' jIratlh 'e' qaq puS

     "It is more preferable that I go than that I stay."

     Does this work for people? I like it because it avoids any controversy
over the use of {-ghach} with any verb stem or artificially suffixed verb,
AND it avoids any controversy over whether a verb with prefixes or even
explicit subjects and objects can be nominalized. It does make for a somewhat
long winded construction in many cases, but that's the nature of law'/puS.

     This construction also lacks any ambiguity and significantly expands the
use of the comparative construction.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level