tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 21 10:46:37 1994

Re: Suggestion for I-Net Klingon Course

Carl Sadlervo':

>So, there is one thing I can think of that would be relatively
>inexpensive [I guess as cheap as your internet access] and provide at
>least a little bit of student-teacher interaction, provided we could find
>someone insane enough to do it.  That is, of course, IRC.
>
>Well, now that I have thrown that idea out, I'm sure everyone can figure
>out how such a course would work using IRC, so I leave it up to everyone
>to comment on this...

Yup, I sure am.

First of all, IRC is NOT the only answer.  I first learned of this mailing
list from a conversation (in Hol!) with one of its members on an Internet-
based game called a MUSE.  MU* are other possibilities, and considering I have
done IRC, and can't stand the thing (and no longer have easy access, as I am
at a different account), I would say MU* over IRC anyday.

But that isn't the issue.

If your concern is interaction, I am going to throw this out at you:  I have,
as Acting Beginner's Grammarian, always tried to encourage students to email
me directly whenever they had a particular idea/problem they didn't
understand.  I have always been more than willing to answer such.  Yes, it may
take me a few days (if people saw my email environement, and how limited my on-
line times were, they would understand *why* it takes me a few days...), but I
*will* answer.  And if I haven't answered anyone's question to an extent wher
they were satisfied yet, I have yet to hear about it (and if I haven't heard
about, then there is a problem... because I can't explain/correct/fix things I
don't know are confusing/wrong/broken! :( ).

I have also had a few other people suggest a few other viable ideas on that
subject, which I just may take them up on.  *grynze evylly*

Don't worry:  I believe in keeping the teachers as close to the students as
possible.  After all... I was a student once, too, you know. {{:)

--HoD trI'Qal
  tlhwD lIy So'

Back to archive top level