tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 05 10:41:05 1994

Re: New canon

Okay, I'm making some more progress.  I'm only 14 days back now.

Anyway, charghwI' writes:

>       I have discovered what is apparently new canon, though
> quite limited. The new novel SAREK by A.C. Crispin seems to
> have a few genuine Klingon words in it. Very few, and almost
> all nouns scattered among English sentences. There is no
> particular efforts at grammar, the one adjectivally modified
> noun being stated backwards. In the acknowledgements, the
> author thanks: "Marc Okrand, for inventing words and phrases
> in Klingonese when I needed them. Thanks, Marc. Now I know
> what to say if I ever make love to a Klingon!"

Well, as they say, there's canon and there's canon.

I believe the general concensus is to regard the Klingon which appears in the
films and the televisions series to be canon, but to view other works of
fiction as a second class, with or without consultations from Okrand.

On the other hand, when I suggested to Marc that the membership of the KLI
would probably be all too happy to provide John Ordover (the Pocket Books ST
Editor) with any Klingon phrases desired for novelists, Marc's reply was to
mention that they currently just call him up, and he works it out for them.

So, take it as you will

Personally, I view Crispin's latest novel as a positive sign.  It will
certainly provide fodder for the Extended Corpus Project (and if you don't
know what that is, shame on you, and go read the inside backcover of
HolQeD!).  Then too, the Klingon fans mentioned in the introduction are
friends of mine, and run the local Klingon club here in the Philadelphia area
(and they're the ones I call to show up for impromptu classes when a film
crew wants footage of me "teaching" Klingon).  They were tickled to be
included in the book.  Jobeck manuever indeed!

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA ::