tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 13 19:15:01 1993

Re: Learning tlhIngan Hol

Matthew Whiteacre says:
:
:
: I have been on this list for a few months now and have noticed that many of
: the comments/replies seem to come from people who seem to be well versed in
: several languages.  I enjoy the discussions and find them helpful at
: resolving things (whether I agree or not with the discussion).  I am a VERY
: monolingual person who would like to become bilingual by learning
: tlhIngan.
:
: I would like to start a basic discussion as to where/how one should start
: the learning process to become actually fluent.  I already have the TKD,
: but it does not seem to be of much help in actually learning to speak/write/
: read tlhIngan fluently.
:
: How many of the people on this list are fluent in tlhIngan without the aid
: of the TKD or similar reference?
:
: How did those of you who are get to the compentancy level you are currently
: at?
:
Matthew, I think we were in the same boat for a while; perhaps we still are. I
am not by any stretch of the imagination fluent in >Suvwi' Hol< (though I do
know several other languages, which may have made life easier), largely because
my vocabulary is minuscule, but this list, TKD, and A. Appleyard's parser
(thanks AA!) have brought me to my current level. I too was initially extremely
frustrated when I first subscribed to this list: TKD (>tlhHmgh (tlhingan Hol
mu'ghom)< ?) and the tape seemed no help whatsoever, and I was just staring at
the written Klingon going by on this list in blank panic. Once I got the
parser, however, things started taking off a bit, partly because it took the
dirty work out of finding morpheme boundaries. The important thing is to
persevere -- once you translate a message or two, you'll find it's not anywhere
near as hard as it looks (especially with punctuation!) and your morale (if
your mind works anything like mine) will improve immensely, enough to carry you
through more learning -- at least this is what happened with me. I can now
write decent Klingon (>'e' vitul!<) and am groping toward the spoken language,
so something seems to have worked somewhere. >biDo' 'e' vitul.<

:               ____
:              |INRI|
:          ____|    |____
:         |              |
:         |____      ____|
:              |    |           Matt Whiteacre
:              |    |           [email protected]
:
:

>Qapla' Qichqengwi'vo'.<