tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 07 07:48:47 1993

Plurals, and between

A very quick note on some lines by Dave Sturm:

>>>From: [email protected]
>
>>>...The sentient plural `-pu'` originally meant "the whole group, all that
>there are": `tlhInganmey` = "those Klingons, some Klingons" / `tlhInganpu'` =
>"the Klingons as a whole, all the Klingons", c.f.:-

>>> [discussion of using >+pu`< in military context, and a statement that
>    >+mey< can be used to give an overtone of disorderliness...]
>
>                           wo' ne'lI'!!
>My understanding (*please* correct me if I'm in error) is that +mey does
>indeed indicate diasporan plural if used with body parts in place of +Du'
>or with words with asimilar plurals (e.g. >pengmey< torpedoes all over the
>place, no particular firing pattern, >cha< torpedoes (fired together in
>same direction)).
>
>But wouldn't the distinction of using +mey in place of +pu' indicate
>contemptible comment as to a group's lack of tlhIngan intelligence?

No. I've seen this suggested before, but it's a confusion of two different
possibilities of "breaking" the sentient/non-sentient distinction in
Klingon.

(1) Plurals.  There are sentient plurals (-pu') and non-sentient plurals
(-mey), and body-part plurals (-Du') (and, of course, anomolous plurals
(e.g. cha)).  Using "-pu'" on non-sentients is generally not permitted, and
using "-mey" on body-part plurals is marked as distinctly poetic (see p.23,
Sect. 3.3.2).  Using "-mey" on sentients or singulars of anomolous plurals
does *not* carry contempt, only "scattered about" (diasporan?  Nice word!).
See the same page, and same paragraph.  The contempt idea comes from....

(2) Possessives.  We have possessives for sentient things-possessed (-wI',
-lI' -Daj, -ma', -ra', -chaj) and for non-sentient things-possessed (-wIj,
-lIj, -Daj, -maj, -raj, -chaj) (note that there's no difference in
third-person).  Using the non-sentient possessives for a sentient *does*
entail contempt ("Hey, where's that *boyfriend* of yours?" -- "nuqDaq ghaH
banglIj'e'?").  The trick is not to get these confused...

~mark

Back to archive top level