tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 19 12:34:53 1993

Re: My First Paragraph

On Oct 19,  3:39am, [email protected] wrote:
> Subject: My First Paragraph
>
> Greetings...

> ...One of the most {questions} pressing seemed to be an adequate way of
> translating the concept of "with" into tlhIngan. How would one render this:
>       "I went with her."   "I will die with you."   "I agree with you."

     It's a challenge, in that in English, the word "with" is used several
different ways. All of your examples, however, can be handled with a simple
noun conjunction. "She and I went." You and I will die." (or more literally,
"Soon, you and I die.") "You and I agree."

> Also, the various schema for word order were boilinkg in my mind; for
> example, the "tIn HoS chaH je" section had me wondering whether the verbal
> construction was correct AND whether the conjunction/pronoun placement was
> right(I changed it as I was typing this in from (je chaH).  Of course, any
> other comments are welcome.  Please feel free to mock and ridicule my
> passage-- as long as it's done CONSTRUCTIVELY!!! =)
>                                                   Jonathan Sir Hendrey
>                                                     October 19, 1993

     Gee. Where are those kid gloves, anyway? I know I left them around here
somewhere...

     I would have said "tIn chaH 'ej HoS chaH." As awkward as that may seem,
the problem is that there are conjunctions for nouns and for sentences, but
not for verbs. Since there is only one subject and two verbs, you have to
repeat the subject and use the conjunction for two sentences, not two nouns,
and the sentence conjunction goes between the sentences, not following the
pair as does the noun conjunction.

     I wish I had time to go into more detail about the text as a whole. I'm
late for a meeting... Soon, perhaps.

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level