tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 22 16:42:49 1993

Re: nujDaq qam lanpu' vay'

> On Nov 20,  8:51pm, Peter Garza wrote:
> > The other option I was thinking of used "-ghach"  for "You don't know how
> > much embarrassement I had."
> >
> > tuHghach 'ar vIghaj 'e' DaSovbe'  (I think "tuH" was the verb I used)

[...]
>      Anyway, I wonder if this use of 'ar is legal. My understanding is that
> 'ar is ONLY functional as a syntactical marker (sic. Guido#1) for a question.
> I do not think it can function adverbially in a non-question. I think a

	Why not?  In my mind (maybe not my translation) I just combined a
question and a sentence.  "How much embarrassment did I have?" and "You
don't know it."

joHwI', nin 'ar wIghaj 'e' vISovbe'. = My lord, I don't know how much fuel
					we have.
(sound of phaser doing away with incompetent officer)

	Sounds within the rules to me, but I'm no expert by far.

> Klingon would have just said, "jItuHqu'pu'" and be done with it. I'm not sure
> nominalizing and quantifying the verb "embarrass" adds much to the statement.
> Your sentence might fall into the class of "Nice day, isn't it?" It prances
> around enough that a Klingon might think you are being devious and decide to
> eliminate you as a potential danger to others.
>
> --   chargwI'

Had a Klingon said the statement, I would agree.  This might be a little
wordy for Klingons, but then again, maybe not.  Perhaps with non-friends
they are curt, but with close friends and family, maybe they are allowed
more flowery speech.  Who knows?  However, a tera'ngan said it, so I think
the more wordy translation is appropriate.

choHoH 'e' yInID.  choHoHchugh vIqawlu'bejtaH.
(Hmmm, that almost sounds like Obi talking to Darth in Star Wars, qar'a')

Peter Garza
[email protected]

Back to archive top level