tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 22 07:12:08 1993

Re: nujDaq qam lanpu' vay'

On Nov 20,  8:51pm, Peter Garza wrote:
> The other option I was thinking of used "-ghach"  for "You don't know how
> much embarrassement I had."
>
> tuHghach 'ar vIghaj 'e' DaSovbe'  (I think "tuH" was the verb I used)

     I am reminded to avoid acting as a grammarian. I apologise for my
earlier messages this morning that perhaps crossed that line. I will seek to
repent.

     Anyway, I wonder if this use of 'ar is legal. My understanding is that
'ar is ONLY functional as a syntactical marker (sic. Guido#1) for a question.
I do not think it can function adverbially in a non-question. I think a
Klingon would have just said, "jItuHqu'pu'" and be done with it. I'm not sure
nominalizing and quantifying the verb "embarrass" adds much to the statement.
Your sentence might fall into the class of "Nice day, isn't it?" It prances
around enough that a Klingon might think you are being devious and decide to
eliminate you as a potential danger to others.

--   chargwI'

Back to archive top level