tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 22 11:31:18 1993

Vulcan glyphs

As promised, I'm posting info about the Vulcan language (such as it is). This
post will be devoted to the glyphs; I'll cover grammar in a separate post.

Though Vulcan is entirely syllabic in that every consonant has at least one
vowel after it, it is written alphabetically. Thus "fara" is written with four
glyphs rather than two. The glyphs consist largely of mathematical symbols.
Alphabetical order appears to be a, i, u, e, o; cha, chi, chu, che, cho; and so
on for f, k, l, m, n, p, r, sh, t, w, x, y. All consonants are as in English,
except for x, which is pronounced as English z (I don't know why they did
that). Now for the glyphs.

a - a greater-than sign above a less-than sign.

i - a partial-derivative sign, like a backwards 6.

u - a less-than sign with a vertical bar through the middle.

e - an angle symbol, like /_ , with an arc connecting the two ends and slightly
crossing them.

o - = (an equals sign).

ch - a capital delta, or a triangle.

f - like an equals sign, but with three lines instead of two. This glyph is
    also used for "h" in the one word "ha" (yes).

k - > (a greater-than sign).

l - a varies-as sign, basically a lowercase alpha.

m - a plus over a minus.

n - a minus over a plus.

p - hard to describe. Basically, it's like an equals sign, but the top line has
    a semicircular upward bulge in the middle, and the bottom line has a
    similar downward bulge in the middle.

r - a not-equals sign.

sh - two intersecting parentheses, something like this:
     \ /
     / \
    |   |
    |   |
     \ /
     / \
     but curved along the sides.

t - a V with an arc over the top and extending slightly beyond the end of the
    V; looks like a piece of pie with extra crust.

w - a circular integral sign (an integral sign with a small circle on the
    middle of the sign).

x - an equals sign with a small v above it.

y - a less-than sign with a vertical bar through it, like u in reverse.

Qapla' Qichqemwi'vo'.