tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 18 22:31:42 1993

Re: pIqaD Direction?

>>If we can infer from this the direction that pIqaD is written
(and if we care), then I should report that it seemd to be wriien *top to
bottom* (and the columns proceeded from left to right).  Just something to
think about.<<
~mark

This is the way that traditional Mongolian script is written.  After almost
50 years of cyrillic, under Russian influence, the old script is again
being taught in Mongolian schools.

Parallels between Klingon and Mongolian culture have been pointed out
before.  A show on The Learning Channel about special effects concentrated
in one episode on Star Trek, and an effects designer claimed that the
Klingons were roughly based on Mongolians (the Evil Empire of the 13th
century that threatened to conquer the whole world).

I have pointed out some similarities between Klingon and Mongolian
morphology (word formation), but the same comparisons could be made
to many agglutinating
languages found all over the world.

Ken Beesley

Back to archive top level