tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 16 18:12:46 1993

RE: Klingon Kulture, qam-wIj!

Randy Kloko <[email protected]> writes:

>As for honor, there are better places to look for it than in the
>pathological histrionics perpetrated by the Klingons.  Feh!

I believe you have missed Magick's entire point.  No culture is perfect,
but there are things to be learned from each one.
Bruce Lee said "Absorb what is useful, and go on from there."  One need
not completely embrace Klingon culture in order to sift out some desirable
qualities.

>Let's wake up and smell the coffee.

(this phrase is followed by a diatribe on how Kloko feels Klingon "culture"
was derived)

There are those in the world who feel that other important works from which
social and moral standards are derived are merely fiction.  I personally
know people who feel that the Bible, the Koran, the Bagavadgita, and
other works are merely fiction.  Yet, each one offers valuable and worthwhile
information.  I have known Magick for nearly 30 years, and i certainly can
say that he knows that a) klingons are not real, and b) there are certainly
things in their culture which leave much to be desired by our standards.
I think you would do well to give him and anyone else on this list the
benefit of the doubt in those matters.

One can learn from works of fiction.  In fact, many works of fiction were
written to teach a lesson.  I doubt that the fable attributed to Aesop
concerning a race between a tortise and a hare actually happened, yet from
it one can learn an important lesson.  Personally, i doubt that the
events surrounding the "Trojan Horse" ever happened, yet again we learn
a lesson.  Why then not learn also from modern literature?

Qapla'

   querist

Back to archive top level