tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 05 00:41:41 1993

House languages

Tolkien's achievement is certainly a remarkable one -- perhaps even
unprecedented.  That a person could invent a set of languages "from
scratch", with enough depth and internal cohesion that a whole
community of people actually bother to learn (about) them and discuss
them...  Truly remarkable.

I started thinking about the idea of a "house language".  Tolkien
includes languages like that, as does Frank Herbert in the Dune books
(although it helps a lot if you've got multi-generation total recall,
I suppose).  More specifically, I was thinking about how I'd go about
coming up with a house language for *my* house.  My wife and I both
speak English, Cantonese and French, and so usually have a language
available that nobody knows but us.  Our three children speak English,
a little Cantonese, and no French -- which means that my wife and I
use French as our "secret" language when the kids are around.

Let's say that we wanted a secret language that only our "house"
speaks.  It would have to have the following attributes:

- Very easy grammar.
- Easy to generate enough vocabulary to talk about pretty much
  anything that we want to.
- Phonetically easy, but "foreign sounding".  (That knocks Khoisa
  right out. :-)

Basically, I could either pick an invented language or a natural
language.  I know of basically two classes of invented languages:

- Artificial languages like Esperanto, Volapuk, Ido, etc, designed to
  be learned by a lot of people as a neutral second (world) language.

- Imaginary languages like Quenya and Klingon, invented by somebody to
  lend verisimitude to a (usually alien) culture and people.

Some obvious choices among natural languages are:

- A Creole.  Creoles are generally pretty simple languages.  Either a
  French Creole (Haitian, Reunion, ...) or an English Creole (Belize,
  Lesser Antilles, ...) would be a good candidate.  These have the
  advantage of being living languages, spoken by a bunch of people
  (Lesser Antillean Creole has nearly 1,000,000 speakers), but are
  *really* easy.  On the other hand, they're way toward the "slangy"
  end of the spectrum.

- Something else with few speakers and an easy grammar.  There are
  maybe 6,000 languages out there, only fewer than 200 of which are
  spoken by 1,000,000 or more.  Surely there's *something* out there
  somewhere that fits the bill.  We could be the first family on our
  block to talk about whether to order pizza or Thai food -- in
  Samoan! :-)

Among invented languages:

- Esperanto.  It's a complete language, with a literature, and
  linguistic community, etc, etc.  Hardly anybody speaks it, so it'd
  be pretty "safe" as a secret language.  Could even use it to comment
  source code (except that there are groups in Europe that do that).
  One major "problem" is that it's *really* easy to understand even if
  you've never heard it before.  It was designed to be.  So it sort of
  loses as a "secret language", except maybe in the US. :-)

- Quenya.  Certainly sufficiently "foreign".  The major problem is
  that it's no less complex linguistically than other (?) natural
  languages.  It'd be hard to learn -- I can't imagine getting to the
  point where I could converse with my 10 year old in it.

- Klingon.  To some extent, the same problems as with Quenya.  The
  difference is that, mind-boggling though it might seem, there is
  actually a Klingon Language Camp.  It also has a non-latin script
  and a standard latin transcription (Okrand's, from his Klingon
  Dictionary).  The major problems are that the existing vocabularly
  is pretty tiny, and that it was *designed* to be a very harsh
  sounding language.  I'm not sure that I want to draw *that* much
  attention when speaking it.

- We could make something up.  I suppose I could start with something
  else as a grammatical base, plug in some phonetics, write a program
  with some Bayesian heuristics to generate a core vocabulary...
  Hmmm.  Has anybody written a language generator program?

So... what does the collective wisdom of the net think?  What's the
best way to come up with a house language?
 Scott Deerwester            |   The Hong Kong University of
 Internet: [email protected]   |     Science and Technology
 Phone:    (852) 358-6985    |  Department of Computer Science