tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 01 08:39:43 1993

Re: A Translation Exercise

Petervo':

>po cha pIw vIparHa'qu' jIH.  yay pIw ghaj 'oH.

>A couple of notes and questions:

>1)  Would "po" take a suffix to denote "in the morning".  Perhaps
>"-Daq", but that seems to have more of a physical meaning.

I've been coming to the conclusion that the desire to put -Daq, or
*something* on such things may stem from an over-reliance on
English, where such a thing would need to be a prepositional phrase.
So I'm not convinced it's wrong or improper to do it just the way
you did it, with po naked.  On the other hand, the somewhat
metaphoric use of -Daq is practically inescapable, so if you chose
to make it poDaq, I don't think anyone would shoot you down.

>2)  Does the use of "-qu'" act like the noun suffix "'a'", turning
>parHa'=like into parHa'qu'=love (like intensely)?

Yes, it rather does, but, apart from that, I've found what I
consider to be a better way to do "to love":  muSHa'

>3)I wasn't sure how to get the sense of "like victory".  I couldn't
>find anything like it in TKD, but maybe I missed something.  Idecided
>that this translation was poetic enough to have the same, or at least
>similar, feel.  Some other possible translations for the second
>sentence follow:
>
>	yay 'oH pIw'e' 'oHbogh.
>	yay pIw He' 'oH.

I think you did very well with it, actually.  I like the one you
actually settled on best.

>4) Can "He'" be used as "It smells like ..." or is it just "It smells."

Not clear.  Not clear at all.  My gut reaction would be "no", but I
don't know that one can build a definitive case either way.

                --Krankor

Back to archive top level