tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 14 19:48:57 1993

Re: Pronunciation of glottal stops

Doch tlha' jatlh tri'Qal:
:
:
:
:
: 	I admit I have not been following most of the postings here of late,
: from RL time contraints, nor have I ever heard either of the two tapes, so if
: my thoughts are totally out of line, please don't splatter my remains over the
: internet, kill me quickly, and gracefully. {{:)
reH batlh Suvwi' quv HoH Suvwi' quv. ;>

:
: 	I have always imagined, from the description given in the book on the
: pronunciation of the glottal stop, that the blasted thing is pronounced at the
: beginning of a vowel much like the "double-tongue" technique used by wind
: instrument players.  Most of the time, a muscician will kinda say "tah" to
: begin each note, but if they want to play many very quick notes, they will
: alternate the "tah"s with "gah"s, which use the back of the tongue.
:
: 	What does this have to do with Hol'e'?  Well, I have always thought of
: the glottal stop as a kind of soft "double-tongue".  No, you don't say "gah",
: but it's kinda like you start to, but forget to vocalize the "g" at the
: beginning, so you say something else instead afterword (this being the rest of
: your tlhIngan word).  I'm sorry if this is really vague, but it is hard to
: describe if you have never played a wind instrument.  I am not even sure if
: this is "proper" pronunciation.
:
: 	Anyone out there wanna give me a hand?  (I will disrupt anyone who
: responds by clapping, or dismembereing either themself or someone else...{{;) )
Well, I play flute, so I think I understand what you're talking about...it
sounds like you're describing something more like Arabic "`ain" than a glottal
stop (though Klingon >'< seems to lean in that direction at the ends of words
anyway), so I wonder............'ach Dajqu'bej ngerlij!

:
:
: --HoD trI'Qal, tlhvD "lIy So'"
>tlh*w*D< 'oHniS'a'?