tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 13 15:54:27 1993

Re: revisions for {vaj lut}, part 1

On Dec 13,  1:47pm, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> >> Verbs of 'speaking' can precede the quote.
>
> >I've wondered about that...

> Examples in canon don't spring to mind, but I don't need them.  See Section
> 6.2.5, near the end:
>
> "Similarly, with verbs of saying (say, tell, ask, etc.), 'e' and net are
> not used.  The two phrases simply follow one another, in either order."
> This is followed by examples "qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'" and "HIqaghQo' qaja'pu'".
> ~mark

     Thank you. That is very illuminating. Given that the verb of speaking
can be before or after the other "sentence", that it does not use {'e'} or
{net}, and that it can also take an aspect suffix, unlike any {'e'} or {net}
linked following verb, it is a wonder that verbs of speaking are considered
to have anything to do with this "sentence as object" construction at all. I
think it would have been better handled as its own subchapter instead of as a
small list of exceptions noted at the end of 6.2.5.

     I somehow managed to not catch the complete pattern of the grammar in
this area in any earlier reading of TKD. Thanks again.

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level