tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 20 09:56:52 1993

Re: Another Klingon name

On Aug 20, 11:18am, [email protected] wrote:
> Subject: Another Klingon name
>   Marc Okrand has managed to fit into his Klingon language many preexisting
> Klingon names from Star Trek (Korax, Koloth, Maltz, etc); but there is one
> that he seems to have missed. In Star Trek the movie I (re Vegur), at the
> start of the film Vegur finds and zaps three Klingon warships. In the film
> these ships are not called anything, but in a book version made of the film
> they are called "K'ting'a class". Does Marc Okrand know of this name? Can
it
> be found a sensible tlhIngan Hol "original"?

     I would put this in the same class as everything in "How Much for Just
The Planet". In other words, it is useless. Okrand's alphabet does not
include a K and the apostrophe placement here does not really make sense,
given that apostrophes are glottal stops and as such are consonants, and if
we interpret the K as a q or Q, that gives us three consonants together,
which doesn't happen in Klingon. We can overlook the lowercase "I" and
possibly stretch things to accept the second apostrophe and even accept the
rare open vowel ending, but in all, it is not really worth it.

     Instead, I would prefer to assume that the author made it up without
much of a clue as to what a Klingon name would sound like. Sort of like

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level