tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 16:21:43 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Need a word for ...

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> but given the fully nuanced definition in Wikipedia

DIvI' Hol mu' QIjchu'meH 'utchugh ghItlh tIn, wa' tlhIngan Hol mu' vIpIHbe'bej.

To me, the word "cruft" itself merely means something like "detritus".
It carries in my mind an implication of material that has accreted or
has been exposed through erosion. It is not "garbage". To apply the
specific connotation apparently desired by tI'wI'nuv requires treating
it as computer jargon. Entire treatises are necessary to explain the
nuances to people who do not share the culture of those who brought
the word to its current state of meaning.

chaq maSorHa'laH. bobcho' mIl? De' vorSaq? tlhoy DeHbogh De'wI' jan?
qal'aq notlh?

-- ghunchu'wI'

P.S. One of those supersonic nuclear bombers is on display
approximately 15 miles from my home. Attached to its underbelly is
said to be the only actual nuclear bomb casing (meaning it once
contained a working nuclear bomb) able to be touched by the general
public.