tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 12 12:24:07 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Seeking a paragraph's translation

DataPacRat ([email protected])

Thank you /very/ much for what you claim is merely an "attempt at
translation" - it's certainly much better than I could have managed on
my own, especially in the time since my post.

Some languages focus entirely on the sounds of names; some attempt to
also incorporate some aspect of the meaning, such as Japanese Kanji.
It seems safe enough to focus on the sounds when dealing with Klingon.

The nominal goal of these translations is, as you suspected, the
perspective of the future viewer of a cryonically-preserved body; with
the speaker being the body's pre-mortem self, in the (distant?) past.
English lets me get away with being vague on the tenses, but one
solution might be for the final two sentences, the request for
revival, to be treated differently from the preceding ones.

I've read a few things by Douglas Hofstadter, so I'm well aware that
'exact match' and 'translation' aren't concepts that play well
together.

> DIS wa'SanID SochmaH jav

If my page-flipping is right, this works out to 'year 1076'; did you
mean for that to be '1976', just leaving out Hutvatlh, or are you
using a Klingon calendar? If the latter, do you have a reference for
it handy?

> jIlaDqu' 'ej jIyIt 'e' vItIv.
> jIyInqa' 'ej jIlaDqa' 'ej jIyItqa' vIneH.

Comparing these two sentences, should 'e' be added to the latter, just
before vIneH?

... And that's the extent of my ability to come up with a cogent
reply. I look forward to any other posts to this thread.

(As an aside, the mailing list doesn't seem to be passing on any
messages that are sent To: an individual and Cc:ed to the list itself;
I don't know if that's because of my particular settings, or if it's
how the list software is configured for all members.)

Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Then again, I could be wrong."