tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 30 10:18:33 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 4, with credits

The introduction to the grammar section of TKD has this to say:
"Although a good many of the fine points are not covered, the sketch
will allow the student of Klingon to figure out what a Klingon is
saying and to respond in an intelligible, though somewhat brutish,
manner. Most Klingons will never know the difference."

The distinction between "correct grammar" and "unambiguously
understandable" is one that I prefer not to gloss over, but I'm not
going to make a big deal out of it. If effective communication takes
place, the essential purpose of language is fulfilled. Conversation
and instruction are different contexts, and I will try not to be
obnoxiously pedantic in a non-instructional setting.

-- ghunchu'wI'