tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 27 08:04:15 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 4, with credits

SuStel ([email protected])

From: "Robyn Stewart" <[email protected]>
> Qov> We haven't seen this use of ja' in canon. I'd be more comfortable if
> you made it <targh chon DaDeltaHvIS> or something like that. ja' is glossed
> as tell, report, not tell about.

But "report" does mean "tell about," and Kruge does say, in English,
"Report status." I am convinced this would be correctly translated,
clipped, as {Dotlh ja'}.

As time goes on I am less and less convinced that the dictionary glosses
are meant to show us appropriate objects. They add extra words to
clarify the sense of the word. For instance, {loS} "wait (for)," as
opposed to "wait (on)." Unfortunately, this means that it's profoundly
unclear what object is appropriate for a verb, if any. This is
demonstrated with {qIm}, which the dictionary tells us means "pay
attention," but which Marc's usage tells us can be used as {X qIm} "pay
attention to X."

I think it comes down to this: Klingons will use an object whenever the
subject performs the verb on the object, regardless of our English
gloss, and as long as it's clear what it meant. Thus, my past objections
to phrases like {qep'a' vIjeS} should be dropped. But *{QongDaq vIQong}
is still unacceptable, because it is unclear that when you sleep you are
doing something TO the bed (especially Klingon beds).

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/