tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 07:08:03 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 4, with credits

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

gheyIl:
>> Grandfather: Yes. With our bellies full. I am proud of you, son of my son.
>> vavnI':      HIja'.  buy' chorDu'maj.  qaHem puqloDwI' puqloD.

Qov
> Hem isn’t glossed as “proud of”.  I’d prefer: SoHmo’ jIHem.

Another option -might- be *{choHemmoH puqnI'loD} "you make me proud, grandson".  {Hem} in canon...

  Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech
  Klingons are a proud race, and we intend to go on being proud. TKW

  tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
  He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

  Hem; tlhIngan rur
  proud as a Klingon KGT

  lutlhej tlhInganpu' Hem mI' nIb
  an equal number of proud Klingons [accompany him] PB

  naDev Sughompu' 'ej Qo'noS SuvwI'pu' Hem tlhIH
  All of you here, proud warriors of Kronos PB

  qanjIt qan vemmoH moratlh, vavDaj ghaH qanjIt'e' puj tIqDu'Daj 'ach Hem
  Morath wakes his father, the old Kanjit, his hearts weak, but proud. PB

Note {HemHa'} "lose one's pride" (v) from the paq'batlh:

  maQ 'oH HemHa'choH 'ej cho'choH moratlh
  The signal for Morath to lose his pride and claim a throne. PB

The antonym seems to be {tuH} "be ashamed" (N.B. not "ashamed of"):

  bItuH
  You are ashamed. KLS

  bItuHpa' bIHeghjaj
  Death before shame.
   ("May you die before you are shamed.") PK

  Dujeychugh jagh nIv yItuHQo'
  There is nothing shameful in falling before a superior enemy.
   ("If a superior enemy defeats you, don't be ashamed"). TKW

  bItuHlaHbe'chugh bIquvlaHbe'
  If you cannot be shamed, you cannot be honored. TKW

  wa' SuvwI' muHlu'DI', tuHchoH Hoch SuvwI'pu'
  The execution of but one warrior brings shame to all. TKW

  tuHbe' tlhInganvam jay'
  Curse this Klingon, who has no shame! PB

The nouns are {tuH} "shame" (no examples) and {le'yo'} "pride":

  le'yo'raj nIHlu'ta'mo' penoD jatlh qeylIS,
  woQ le'yo' je 'aghbej ghaH
  And Kahless spoke to them … filled with pride and authority,
  about avenging their stolen pride PB

There's also the noun {nur} "dignity".  Quvar tells us that before Maltz revealed {le'yo'} that:

   In the draft for the opera [{'u'}], [{nur}] was used to translate
   "pride" like this:  "We will avenge your stolen pride" {nurraj
   nIHlu'ta'mo' manoD} [and] "with it I restore pride and values of
   the Klingon empire {tlhIngan wo' nur ghob je HoSmoH quvvam}"
     [Quvar, 8/22/2011]

HQ 12.3 p.9:  The notion of 'too big for one's britches' (be too haughty or arrogant for one's status) as well as that of 'commit hubris' (be presumptuous or arrogant) might best be rendered in Klingon not by {HoQ} ["be honored falsely, be falsely honorable"] but by {nguq} "be arrogant, haughty, conceited" an undesirable trait. To be {Hem} "proud", however, is quite admirable and does not carry any connotations of arrogance as the Federation Standard words proud and pride sometimes do. The noun {'eDjen} refers to a person who is arrogant or haughty.

KGT 123:  The sash represents a Klingon's heritage. If the sash is removed, so is the Klingon's ancestral identity, and, along with it, his or her dignity and self-esteem. ... Thus, the phrase {Ha'qujlIj nge'} (literally, "take away your sash") means "wound your pride".

Related words:

quv 		be honored (v)
jeQ 		be self-confident (v)
nguq 		be arrogant, haughty, conceited (v)
web 		be disgraced (v)
tuHmoH  	shame [someone] (v)

quv 		[personal] honor (n)
nur 		dignity (n)